“Raices y Cultura” (Roots and Culture), which features acts in both English and Spanish, kicks off at 8 p.m. at Mexicanisimo night club, 2323 W. First St.
The show aims to bring some attention to a genre that has yet to be embraced by the Latino community on a large scale, said hip-hop artist Eduardo Iniestra, who goes by the name “Edifica.” (Click here to read an OC Latino Link profile about him.)
Iniestra – who raps about subjects ranging from love to corporate greed – said the event gives attendees a chance to discover the cultural side of hip-hop.
“Hip-hop can bring about consciousness and reality to balance the equation,” he said. “To me, hip-hop is about fighting for what you believe in. It’s about justice, equality for women, not having frontiers. It’s about being with the community. It is community. It’s about knowledge, progress, expression of life…education and improving.”
More O.C. Nightlife:
- O.C. act the Colourist shines in the Constellation Room in Santa Ana
- Yelawolf gets the Observatory hoppin’
- Slide Show: RVCA and Slay Dem present New Year’s Daze
- Orange Pop: Local talent in the spotlight
- 2012 OC Music Awards nominations announced
- OC Music Awards showcases kick off in Costa Mesa