I’m a little later than usual with this week’s rundown — that’s what catching a cold on a Monday will do to you. Oh well: That only gave me more time to determine just how idiosyncratically strong Ani DiFranco‘s first album in 3½ years is, and how frustrated I am with the Big Pink‘s latest good-not-great ’80s amalgam.
Also in the mix: a definitive Martina McBride collection, the studio return of classic-era Guided by Voices, the stateside debut of South Korea’s Girls’ Generation, a Bill Evans tribute from Chick Corea, an excellent iTunes session from Wilco and a rush-released double-album from too-often unsung songwriter Joseph Arthur.
Slide show and text by Ben Wener, the Orange County Register.
More O.C. Nightlife:
- Slide Show: OC Music Awards gets loud in Fullerton
- Orange Pop: Jeramiah Red ups its game
- Tiger Army, New Found Glory and Alkaline Trio to headline Musink
- Slide Show: Professional Bull Riders take over Honda Center Saturday
- ShoresCrew’s Zombie Party gets wild at La Cave in Costa Mesa Friday
- Lord Huron kicks off the 2012 Off Center Festival in Costa Mesa