April 11th, 2012, 12:51 pm · · posted by GUEST
Coachella is much more than just a music and arts festival. Through the years, it has become somewhat of a fashion show, and everyone that attends does not take packing for the event lightheartedly. Now, if you want to dress to impress this weekend and next weekend, it is important to be both fashionable and practical. Fortunately, this weekend’s temperatures are pretty low for the usually intolerable climate of Indio, averaging at around 75 degrees. With few showers on Friday, it’s looking to be a pretty good climate to show off your trendiest outfits. As I mentioned before, practicality is key, and in order to achieve the perfect combination between chic and comfort: accessorize, accessorize, accessorize! Here’s a list of the most important accessories that can turn any plain t-shirt and shorts outfit into a statement of your own personal sense of style.
2. Being out in the sun all day, it is inevitable that you will need a pair of sunglasses. You can also be creative in your choice of sunglasses, and when chosen right, they will add a certain “oomph” factor to your outfit.
3. Jewelry is an important addition to any outfit, and sometimes people can tend to go a little overboard with their jewelry. When picking out your jewelry, remember that there is such a thing as too much jewelry, so only pick pieces that represent your sense of style the best. Pairing a couple rings with a necklace, bracelet or watch is more than enough when combining the jewelry with the rest of your ensemble.
4. One of the best ways to make a statement is through your choice of shoes. The most obvious choices are sandals, tennis shoes, flats or boots, but let’s not completely eliminate a comfortable pair of wedges. Although, I do not suggest wearing wedges for a whole day at Coachella (not spiked heels because you will end up leaving a trail of holes in the grass), I wouldn’t criticize putting on a pair for a few hours and then changing them out for flats. It’s all for the sake of fashion, right? Like I’ve mentioned before, practicality is the most important thing here, and if you do not feel comfortable wearing any sort of heel then you should opt for a unique pair of sandals instead. Try to remember that you will most likely be standing in large crowds while walking around in mud or dirt, so it won’t be a good idea to wear your most expensive pair of shoes unless you plan on ruining them in the first hour.
5. For the warmer days on Saturday and Sunday, you may just want to throw on a bathing suit top with a pair of shorts or a mid-length skirt. Remember that you can also show off your style with just a bathing suit, so don’t be afraid to rock one with some fringe or a unique design on it. Another important rule of Coachella fashion: never forget that you can make a statement with every piece of clothing you wear.
6. Last, but not least, is a jacket, sweater or cardigan. Friday is projected to be a day of scattered showers, so a warm leather jacket would be ideal. Saturday and Sunday are looking to be sunny days, so a light cardigan at night might be a good addition to your ensemble depending on the weather, of course. When packing, don’t place your focus on heavy jackets, but instead pack a couple of your favorite cardigans. Even if you feel like wearing the same tank top, if you throw on a cardigan it can completely change your look.
Now that you’ve got some ideas for accessories, pair them all with your favorite outfits. Remember that you are showing off your style, so don’t feel that you have to go out shopping just for Coachella. Pack only what you need and plenty of small accessories, and you’ll put together outfits you’ve never thought of. As a side note, if you’ve got tattoos, find ways to show them off because rest assured, everyone else will!
By Cassie Rossel for OrangeCounty.com.