March 4th, 2012, 12:56 pm · · posted by GUEST
They throw a rope with a shoe on the end of it into the void where the Bat Commander is trapped and pull … pull … until pop! Out comes the commander, covered in slimy orange “ectoplasm.”
Christian Jacobs, who as MC Bat Commander is the Aquabats’ lead singer, grabs a towel to wipe off all the slime in which he’s been drenched. Apparently all that liquid ectoplasm and the frigid Santa Ana soundstage where the Aquabats’ new TV series is shot have left Jacobs bone-chillingly cold. But what’s a little inconvenience when a dream that’s gone unfulfilled for almost 15 years is finally coming true?
“The Aquabats! Super Show!” premiered on the Hub network on Saturday, bringing to the channel a show for kids – and plenty of grownups, we suspect – that Jacobs describes as “kind of funky. It’s technically a comedy-action-musical – with fake commercials!”
And you’d expect nothing less from the Aquabats, Orange County’s quirkiest punk-pop heroes, would you?
Article by Peter Larsen, the Orange County Register. Photos by Paul Bersebach, the Orange County Register.
More O.C. Nightlife:
- Music News: 2012 OC Music Awards winners
- Slideshow: Musink 2012 tattoo portraits
- Review: Tiger Army roars at Musink kickoff
- Review: 311 packs a punch in Anaheim
- Musink becomes cultural O.C. staple
- Slideshow: Miss Musink competition narrows in Fullerton
- Orange Pop: Lee Rocker’s fast train to rock’s roots