February 13th, 2012, 10:18 am · · posted by GUEST
And chief among my AfterWork rules is the one about featuring only Orange County bars and restaurants in this column. That’s because we’re all about Orange County people.
While I have lived by that exclusivity rule for four years, I was intrigued by a recent email from a loyal reader named Rick who swore that he and his friends walk to a Long Beach restaurant from their Seal Beach homes for happy hour.
Frankly, I thought he was exaggerating. Then I checked out the place and measured the distance between the restaurant’s front door and the Orange County border. It is less than three-tenths of a mile, which is a pretty short walk for anyone, even those who have had too much happy hour.
The Tilted Kilt is a sports pub with attractive servers in sexy outfits. Yes, it does sound a lot like that other chain (Tilted Kilt employees refer to Hooters as the “H word”), but there are differences.
The first Tilted Kilt opened in 2003 in Las Vegas, and the chain is now based in Tempe. Numbering almost 75 restaurants, the Tilted Kilt sports a Scottish, Irish and British pub theme, and a few of the dishes are authentic (Shepherd’s Pie is my favorite), but they also are as American as hot wings and burgers.
More important, about 50 percent of the clientele in Long Beach at any given time made their way across the border from Orange County. The Tilted Kilt is in the building that once housed the Lone Star steak restaurant.
Happy hour discounts are available Monday-Friday, from 3-6 p.m.
Photos and article by Barry Koltnow, the Orange County Register.
More O.C. Nightlife:
- Grammys 2012: Jennifer Hudson, Glen Campbell and more performances
- Live Review: The Roots’ pre-Grammy jam
- DJ Quik and Suga Free heat things up at the Observatory
- Remembering Whitney Houston, 1963-2012
- Live Review: Young the Giant impresses at the Wiltern
- Sinister Pointe hosts special Valentine’s dinner show
- Moonsville Collective takes over ‘Dinner with Dave’
- Video: Le Blorr at King’s Inn at Memphis Cafe
- Slideshow: ‘FIN’ debuts at Hurley’s H Space Gallery
- Orange Pop: Death By Stereo readies ‘Black Sheep’
- ‘The Aquabats! Super Show’ debuts March 3
- Slideshow: OC Music Awards showcase at the Continental Room