February 9th, 2012, 8:08 am · · posted by BEN WENER, THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER
Couple of new classic-rock shows have tumbled in, starting with the third show in the O.C./L.A. area from the mostly original Van Halen, June 9 at Staples Center.
The group’s first new album in forever, A Different Kind of Truth, got a four-star rave from AllMusic and nearly as high marks from USA Today. I’ve only heard what new morsels they served up at last week’s promotional event at Henson Recording Studios, though those were impressive.
Kool & the Gang will open, just as the long-running funk-pop outfit will June 1 at Staples and June 12 at Honda Center. Tickets, $29.50-$149.50, go on sale Saturday, Feb. 11, at 1 10 a.m.
By Ben Wener, the Orange County Register. Photo, from a promo event at NYC’s Cafe Wha? in early January, by Charles Sykes, The Associated Press.
More O.C. Nightlife:
- Orange Pop: Death By Stereo readies ‘Black Sheep’
- ‘The Aquabats! Super Show’ debuts March 3
- Slideshow: OC Music Awards showcase at the Continental Room
- Live Review: Polaris at Noon kicks off February Residency
- Live Review: Gotye lives up to hype at El Rey
- Slideshow: Old Scratch turns up the volume at La Cave in Costa Mesa
- Slideshow: Gabriel & Dresden at Sutra in Costa Mesa