January 12th, 2012, 3:15 pm · · posted by KELLI SKYE FADROSKI, THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER
If the third time’s the charm, then I Hate You Just Kidding should score the trophy for best folk at the 2012 OC Music Awards at City National Grove of Anaheim on March 3. The duo of musicians Jeremy Brock and Jessi Fulghum has lost out two years in a row to fellow local act Yellow Red Sparks.
Though being nominated is nice, as Brock shyly describes it, Fulghum says the experience has been much more about community, discovering new music and making new friends.
“They’ve asked (us for) a third year in a row to do the live showcase, which is always fun because you’re guaranteed a huge crowd,” she points out. “Sometimes you think, as a musician, ‘No one is seeing what I’m doing, why am I doing this?’ So it’s kind of rewarding to know that people are listening.”
I Hate You Just Kidding will battle it out with other local artists on Jan. 24 at Malone’s in Santa Ana, the next round on the road to being crowned best live acoustic. Kacie Yoshida, Button Willow Locomotive, Skee and Honeypie also will perform that evening. Meanwhile, IHYJK is the current Monday-night residency band at the 300-capacity Constellation Room in Santa Ana, inside the Observatory (formerly the Galaxy Theatre).
Check out our video from I Hate You Just Kidding’s sound check at Constellation Room.
Photos and video by David Forniss, for OrangeCounty.com.
More O.C. Nightlife:
- Citizen Cope gets intimate with fans at the Coach House Wednesday night
- Slide Show: Cherokee Fade and Summer Twins at Memphis Cafe in Costa Mesa
- OC Music Awards’ first acoustic showcase delights fans in Tustin
- O.C. act the Colourist shines in the Constellation Room in Santa Ana
- Orange Pop: Local talent in the spotlight
- 2012 OC Music Awards nominations announced